Wednesday, December 20, 2017

EMAX RS2306 2750 Kv motor initial impressions

Hi Everyone -

Christmas came a bit early for me yesterday with the delivery of a couple of Hobby King orders I had been waiting for😂
Three motors and a couple of 6x3 TGS props I will be testing in the future in a 6x3 prop "shoot off"😎

In this post as it says in the title, I will be discussing my initial impressions of the EMAX RS2306 2750 Kv motor.  I paid $21.99 USD for mine at the time of purchase, but shipping was free.  It comes very well packaged in a hard plastic box (which I will probably recycle for putting spare parts in for my flight box😊  The grey stuff is a dense foam to protect the motor and other goodies.  Also some cool stickers that will find their way onto my flight boxes😎
Goodies out of the box.  Not that it is too critical for my use in a park jet, but it only came with one prop nut, most quad racing motors I have purchased come with two.
Close up of the "goody bags", sets of bolts for adapting to 3mm or 4mm thick carbon when mounted on a quad copter frame and a spare bolt and washer that holds the bell to the stator.
I grabbed this picture from the Hobby King website which is linked above showing that to remove the bell, you just need a small Allen key rather than messing around with a C clip or other type fastener, a very cool feature I think.
Once the prop, prop nut, X mount is installed, it is a pretty light little motor at 47 gr/1.7 oz.  In my excitement I forgot to take a picture of it by itself before putting it in a plane, but here it is sitting beside the RC Timer 2306 2650 Kv motor I recently tested.  You can find my articles on my initial impressions, bench testing and field testing of the RC Timer motor on this blog.
The RC Timer motor weighs 52 gr/1.8 oz in the same state with everything ready to fly.  The wires are longer on the RC Timer motor, but EMAX has really focused on keep the weight of the motor very low, the stators on these motors are the same size and the EMAX has only 100 more Kv, so they are close that way also.

Here are the numbers from my initial bench testing using the 6x4 APC gas prop, Turnigy Plush 60A ESC with timing set to low and Zippy Flightmax 2200 36 40C battery.

50% throttle - 16.6A/205.9W producing 498 gr/17.6 oz of thrust;

100% throttle - 32.4A/371.2W producing 812 gr/28.6 oz of thrust.

You can find more details as well as the initial bench numbers of the other two motors in the first picture on this spreadsheet, please scroll along the bottom til you find the tab labelled "quad racing motors" to get the info.

I was actually a bit surprised at the low thrust numbers, after watching rcplanepirate's video (test starts at 7:50 in his video) on testing this motor on 3S with this prop, I expected the numbers to be much higher.  RCPP is using a much different ESC (the Turnigy AE 65A) than I am, so perhaps I need to do a bit more research and testing to get the right ESC to optimize the performance of these quad racing motors.  They sell one in 45A that I think I will order and give a try if the ESC can optimize the performance that much more, worth giving it a go😊

However, my "spidey senses" tell me that it will perform very well at the field even with my current setup.  When I spin the motor by hand, it is very smooth, but I can tell it has very strong magnets, much stronger than the RC Timer 2306 motor for example, so I think once at the field it should move my plane along quite smartly😎  

Hope to have some field testing done very soon😊

Park Jet noise...the "other" sound of freedom😎

Cheers,

Scott




2 comments:

  1. Hi Scott,

    Amazing what the manufacturers are doing with quad motors these days!
    I think you’re headed in the right direction for a performance gain whereas
    the motor is lighter and the can is shorter. It should pull everything closer to
    A more tightly grouped PMI and more punch!!!

    Thanks for posting!

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim, managed to get the first bit of field testing done today, moves my plane along smartly, great "hole shot" acceleration and top speed. Very pleased with how it runs :)

      Cheers,

      Scott

      Delete