Friday, December 22, 2017

Viking Multistar 2208 2600 Kv motor initial impressions

Hi Everyone -

I recently received my Viking Multistar 2208 2600 Kv motor in the mail from Hobby King😊  It came very well packaged surrounded by foam.  It is regularly priced at $28.14 USD from the Global Warehouse, but fortunately due to a notification from rcplanepirate, I got it on sale for $16.10 USD😂
It comes with one prop nut and four mounting screws to secure it to a quad copter, the motor wires are about 3" long. 
A couple more pictures, if has a very nice finish and the bell spins smoothly.

Before putting the prop on, I took a picture comparing it to the DYS 2208/7 2600 Kv motor as they have the same size stator.  You can see that the Viking motor has much less metal at the top and the bell is very close to the stator.  I couldn't take a picture that would show you, but when I look down inside the motor from the back, the magnets on the Viking motor are narrower, but much closer together than they are on the DYS motor.  When I spin the Viking motor, it spins smoothly, but the magnets feel much stronger than the DYS motor.  After doing a bit more research and from results of my own testing thus far, magnet size and spacing as well as whether the magnets are curved or straight is something I will be paying more attention to moving forward in my evaluations of quad racing motors for park jets.
With the prop, connectors and other hardware on, it weighs 50 gr/1.8 oz which is 6 gr lighter than the DYS motor in the same configuration.  Like the other motors, you will need to provide your own "X" mount and bullet connectors.  
Here are the initial bench test numbers with the 6x4 APC gas prop, Turnigy Plush 60A ESC (timing set to low) and Zippy Flightmax 2200 3S 40C battery.  More details can be found on the motor spreadsheet, quad racing motors have their own tab along the bottom.

50% throttle - 13.5A/164.4W producing 482 gr/17.0 oz of thrust;

100% throttle - 29.5A/359.5W producing 836 gr/29.5 oz of thrust.

These numbers are slightly less than the bench numbers I saw with the DYS 2208 2600 motor, but it will be interesting to see when the "rubber hits the road" so to speak at the field.  I am currently running the DYS 2208 2600 with the 6x4 APC gas prop in my RC Powers F-22 V5 and F-18 V5 and it moves them along really well.

I hope to field test this motor very soon to see how it performs relative to the other quad racing motors I have tested thus far😊

Park Jet noise...the "other" sound of freedom

Cheers,

Scott




No comments:

Post a Comment