Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Initial impressions and bench testing of the Hawksky AT2306 II 2750 Kv motor

Hi Everyone -

I received my Hawksky AT2306 II 2750 Kv motor in the mail today😀  I picked mine up from Banggood, $22.37 USD, took about 4 weeks to get here with free shipping.
It comes complete with 4 mounting bolts that you would use to mount in on a quad or anything I suppose as well as one prop nut, no bullet connectors as you can see above.  It is pretty light, the motor wires are 90 mm long and with no hardware, the motor weighs 30 gr/1.1 oz.
It has a "naked bottom", so no actual full base plate.  Bolt pattern is 16x19 mm, so the same as a standard "X" mount for use in a park jet.
The Banggood website has very little info on the magnets, etc, they do look curved, a pretty tight tolerance between the magnets and stator.  The bell spins freely, but I can feel that the magnets are pretty strong.  Not sure how many windings it has, the wire is quite thick compared to some other motors of this size I have tested.  As you can see, to remove the shaft, there is a small hex bolt rather than a "C" clip, although it does not come with spare bolt like some other motors I have tested.

The outside of the bell has very small ridges, I am not sure if this is to help with motor cooling.  It is available in green like the base is shown above or all silver like I went for and is also available in 2500 Kv (same price though😉)
With the prop and all other hardware it weighs 44 gr/1.6 oz which is pretty light, about the lightest motor of this size I have tested by about 4 gr.
Bench testing

You can go straight to the motor test spreadsheet for the full details if you would like, I'll touch on some highlights below.  I tested it initially with the 6x4 APC gas prop and the full throttle amp draw was quite high ranging from 43.9 to 47.7A depending on the ESC and the thrust numbers were a bit disappointing compared to other motors of the same size and Kv.  I probably would not fly with the 6x4 APC gas prop as the amp draw would be pushing the ESCs past their base rated limit in all three cases.

So I decided to "prop down" and ran the same tests with the 6x3 EMP prop from RC Timer.  Here are the best numbers using the Turnigy AE-45A ESC with custom settings of 22.5 degrees timing and 24 KHz PWM frequency using a Gens Ace 2200 3S 45C battery.

50% throttle - 17.6A/217.5W producing 646 gr/22.8 oz of thrust;

100% throttle - 42.3A/485.1W producing 1215 gr/42.9 oz of thrust.

So for initial field testing, I will use the 6x3 EMP prop and the Turnigy Plush 40A ESC for consistency.  Even with the Turnigy Plush on default settings the results were quite good with the 6x3 EMP prop.

50% throttle - 17.3A/211.5W producing 624 gr/22 oz of thrust;

100% throttle - 39.7A/451.6W producing 1155 gr/40.7 oz of thrust.

As I continue to fill out my spreadsheet, I will go back and test several of the other 2700+ Kv props with the 6x3 EMP prop to see the results.

Park Jet noise...the "other" sound of freedom 😎

Cheers,

Scott





No comments:

Post a Comment